District Attorney
                   Visitors                           Residents                        Business                       Government                    Departments                     Employment          
       Home > Departments > District Attorney
District Attorney Mark A. Dupree, Sr.


District Attorney

Juvenile Offender's FAQs 


Is a juvenile required to have an attorney in court? Yes.  Kansas Law requires that all juveniles appearing in court as Respondents/defendants, must be represented by an attorney.  In Wyandotte County, a contract attorney is automatically appointed by the court to represent the juvenile.  (Contract attorneys are private practice attorney who have a contract with the court system to represent juveniles who allegedly committed a crime.)  The parent always has the option to hire an attorney of their own choosing.

Who pays for the court appointed attorney? 
The parent and/or juvenile are responsible for the attorney fees.  If the family can not afford to pay for the attorney, an affidavit of indigence may be filled out and given to the judge who will then determine who will pay or if the fee will be waived.



How can a child be emancipated? 
Parents are obligated to care for their children until they reach the age of 18.  Emancipation allows a child under 18 to hold property, enter into contracts, and to sue or be sued.  It does not necessarily relieve a parent of their obligation to provide for the child until age 18.  To begin the emancipation process, a petition is filed in District Court.  The judge, at the hearing, would then determine if the juvenile has the ability to enter into contracts and is responsible and mature enough to be treated a an adult.  The district attorney’s office does not handle emancipations.

When and what time is my child’s court appearance? The clerk’s office is required to notify the parents and the juvenile by mail or by personal service when the first hearing will be, whether it is a detention hearing, arraignment or CINC proceeding.  The clerk’s office can be reached at 913-573-4190.

What should I do if I or my child missed a court appearance? Call the judge’s administrative assistant at 573-8195 to set a time for the juvenile to appear at court.  A warrant  may have already been issued so it is important to do this as soon as possible before the child is arrested and taken to detention.

I am a victim and the suspect was a juvenile.  Who can help me with information, questions, the status of my case and/or help me in filling out the Victim Impact Statement?
When the suspect is a juvenile, call 913-573-2973, and ask for the victim’s assistance person.  She will help you correctly fill out the forms and answer any procedure questions you may have.

I am a witness.  Do I have to appear for court? 
You do not need to appear for court unless you receive a subpoena.

What is a subpoena?A subpoena is a court order requiring you to appear at court on a certain date and time.  A subpoena may be mailed to you or personally given to you.  If you have been personally served, and failed to appear at the designated time and place, the court may find you in contempt and issue a warrant for your arrest.

How can my child’s juvenile record be expunged? 
Kansas law allows most juvenile adjudications to be expunged.  "Expungement" means that the crime will not be found when a person or agency, other than law enforcement, runs a juvenile record.  Two years after the juvenile is discharged from jurisdiction (i.e. completed his/her sentence), a juvenile may be eligible for expungement.  The juvenile may contact the Court Services office at 573-4901 or go to 711 Armstrong and start the process there by completing a petition for expungement.  There is also a $50.00 state fee that must be paid also.

When can a juvenile be tried as an adult? 
Any juvenile between the ages of 10 through 17 may be waived to adult status.  The State starts the process by filing a motion requesting adult prosecution in certain limited cases.  Factors considered by the district attorney’s office as well as the court, are the seriousness of the offense, the prior criminal record of the juvenile, the services the juvenile has already received through the court system, and availability of other services that may rehabilitate the juvenile if he/she remains in the juvenile system. 

How do I get a copy of my police report? 
If the suspect is a juvenile the police cannot release police reports.  They however, will give you a report showing you filed a report which has a complaint  number on it.  This number helps in tracking your case through the police department and the district attorney’s office.

Do I have a warrant? By law, our office is not allowed to release that information.  You will need to check with the Sheriff’s Department at  913-573-2861.