District Attorney
                   Visitors                           Residents                        Business                       Government                    Departments                     Employment          
       Home > Departments > District Attorney
District Attorney Mark A. Dupree, Sr.


District Attorney


Victim Assistance FAQs 


Will I receive compensation for appearing as a witness?
By statute you are entitled to a fee ($10.00) each time you are required to appear for a court hearing, plus mileage reimbursement.  To collect fees,  present your subpoena after each court hearing to the criminal Department on the third floor of the courthouse.  A check will be mailed to you.

What if I am threatened as a witness?
Any attempt to prevent or dissuade a witness form testifying is a violation of the law.  Report any such incident immediately to the police and the prosecuting attorney. 

Should I talk to the defense attorney?
This is strictly your decision.


What if I change my mind and do not want to prosecute or testify?   
A crime committed against any person is a crime against the state, and once a Complaint or Information is filed, it becomes the State’s case.  If  you have any reluctance about testifying in a case, please discuss your concerns with the prosecutor handling your case or the Victim Assistance Unit.

Will I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a result of being a victim of a crime? 
Check with your insurance company.  Your policy may provide coverage for personal injury or property loss due to a crime.  If you were a victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation under the Kansas Crime Victims compensation Law.  We will assist  you in securing the form necessary to make application for compensation.  In addition, if a person is convicted and sentenced, the court may order the defendant to pay restitution, that is, to pay for the costs of your injuries,  or damages.  For that reason, it is important for you to document all  financial losses.

When will I get my property back? 
All property will be released as soon as possible; however; each case is different, and sometimes the property might need to be held until after the trial.  Discuss the question with the prosecutor handling you case or the Victim Assistance Unit.

As a victim, will I be notified of all the defendant’s court hearings? 
You will be subpoenaed at all hearings where your testimony is needed.  Even if you are not subpoenaed for the preliminary hearing or trial, you  will still be notified of them. In, addition, you will be notified for the defendant’s sentencing.  All other court proceedings are held in open court.  You may attend any or all of the defendant’s hearings.

If I get a rape kit, or sexual assault exam done at a hospital, who pay that bill? 
If a sexual assault occurs and a rape kit is done by a hospital, the bill to that service can be paid by the District Attorney’s Office under K.S.A 65-448. The hospital or ER should send this bill directly to the DA’s office, but if you as the victim of the crime receive the bill please send it to the District Attorney’s Office for payment.