Visitors                           Residents                        Business                       Government                    Departments                     Employment          
Home > Departments
Election Commissioner Bruce Newby


Election Office


Voter Registration

Uncle Sam

You must be registered in order to vote.

Who Can Register to Vote? top

You should register if you:

  • Are a United States Citizen
  • Are 18 years of age or older or will be 18 before the next election
  • Are a resident of Wyandotte County

If convicted of a felony, register only after restoration of your civil rights.

If you are already registered to vote, you should promptly re-register if you:

  • Move within Wyandotte County
  • Change your name
  • Want to change your party affiliation

Where Can I Register to Vote? top

  • Online, if you have a current Kansas Driver's License or Nondriver's Identification Card
  • By Mail
  • In person at the Election Office, 850 State Avenue
  • Offices of the City Clerk in
    • Kansas City, KS, 701 N. 7th Street
    • Bonner Springs, KS, 205 E. 2nd Street
    • Edwardsville, KS, 690 South 4th Street
  • Kansas Driver's License Offices
  • Public Assistance Offices
  • Public Libraries

How Do I Register to Vote Online? top

Online voter registration allows citizens, who are residents in Kansas with a valid Kansas driver's license, to register to vote for the first time or to make changes to an existing registration.  Go to https://www.kdor.org/voterregistration/default.aspx 

How Do I Register by Mail? top

Click here to open the Voter Registration Application Form and print.  Complete all information on the form.  Make sure you provide your Kansas Driver's License Number or Kansas non-driver's identification card number.  If you do not have either one, enter the last four digits of your social security number.

Sign and mail the application to the Wyandotte County Election Office, 850 State Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66101.  Voter registration applications must contain an original signature of the applicant.

Voter Registration Applications may also be sent by FAX or email but must contain the applicant's signature:

  • Fax signed Voter Registration Applications to 913-573-8580
  • Email signed Voter Registration Applications to election@wycokck.org
  • Please do not send duplicates.

Am I Required to Show Identification to Register or Vote? top

To register to vote, Kansas law requires all voters to provide their current Kansas Driver's License number or nondriver's identification card number.  If the applicant does not possess either, then the application must contain the last four digits of the applicant's social security number.

Beginning January 1, 2013, first time registrants in Kansas must also provide proof of United States citizenship. 

Any of the following documents may be used to satisfy this requirement:

  • Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. naturalization document or the number of the certificate of naturalization
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty number or tribal enrollment number
  • U.S. hospital record of birth indicating place of birth in the U.S.
  • U.S. military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
  • Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace
  • U.S. citizenship document issued pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
  • Consular report of birth abroad of a U.S. citizen
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • U.S. driver's license or non-driver's identification card if the issuing agency indicates on the card that the applicant has provided satisfactory proof of U.S. citizenship
  • American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security 

If a valid citizenship document is not submitted at the time of application, it must be submitted within 90 days using one of the following methods: 

  • Fax a copy of the document to 913-573-8580 
  • Email a scanned image of the document to election@wycokck.org
  • Mail a copy to the Election Office at 850 State Ave, Kansas City, KS 66101 
  • Present a copy at the Election Office 
  • Please do not send original documents.  Original documents will not be returned. 

If you do not provide proof of citizenship within 90 days, your application will be cancelled. When you find your proof of citizenship, you are required to submit a new registration application along with your proof of citizenship.

To vote, Kansas law requires all voters to show approved photo identification.  Photo identification must include the name and photo of the registered voter.

Any of the following documents may be used as photo identification for voting in Kansas:

  • Driver's License or ID Card issued by any state or district of the United States
  • U.S. passport
  • Student ID Card issued by an accredited Kansas college or university
  • U.S. military ID
  • Government employee badge or ID
  • Concealed carry license issued by any state or district of the United States
  • Public assistance ID issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office

Persons age 65 or older may use an expired photo ID.  Active military and their adult dependents and overseas civilian voters are exempt.  Persons with established religious beliefs that prohibit photo ID may be exempt.

How Do I Know Whether I Am Registered to Vote? top

A person who completes an application for voter registration shall be considered a registered voter when the county election officer adds the applicant's name to the county voter registration list.

After your Voter Registration Application has been entered, a Certificate of Registration will be mailed to you.  This voter ID card provides information regarding your Ward and Precinct, the location of your polling place, and your elected officials' districts.  The Certificate of Registration may not be used as ID to vote as it does not include a photo.

You can always confirm your current voter registration information online at VoterView: https://myvoteinfo.voteks.org/

Keep your Certificate of Registration in a safe place for future reference.  You may obtain a replacement certificate by asking the Election Office to send you a new one.  The Election Office may also issue you a new certificate if your polling place changes or you re-register.

When Do I Need to Update or Change My Voter Registration? top

You must complete a new Voter Registration Application and send it to the Election Office:

  • If you have moved,
  • If you have a name change,
  • If you want to change your political party affiliation.  In Kansas, the choices are Democratic, Republican, Libertarian, and Not Affiliated.

Is There a Voter Registration Deadline?

You may register (or re-register) anytime until 21 days prior to each election.  Voter registration is closed during the 21-day period before each election.  Voter Registration Applications must be postmarked no later than the 21st day prior to any election and received in the Election Office by the 9th day before the election to be valid.  Voter Registration Applications postmarked or received after the deadline are not entered until after the election.

Voter Registration re-opens the day following each election.


2011 Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, 701 N. 7th St., Kansas City, KS 66101

French German Italian Portuguese Spanish Russian Dutch Greek Japanese Korean Chinese (simplified) Chinese (traditional)